The exercises are based around an API for topic everyone understands – a hospital.
Who is this course for?
- Technical communicators unfamiliar with APIs and API documentation
- Developers unfamiliar with Information Design and technical writing best practices
- What is an API?
- Types of APIs
- Examples of APIs
- How REST APIs work
- Using an API
- Where are APIs?
- The audience for API documentation
- What do they want?
- Who uses API documentation
- Writing API documentation
- What content goes into an API document?
- Common structures for API documents
- Automatically generated content
- Manually written content
- Writing the content
- Code samples
- Design patterns in API documentation
- Standards and emerging conventions
- Designing the content to meet the audience’s needs
- Authoring tools
- Creating content
- API Specification tools
- Publishing the content
- Managing the content
- Automation tools
- Managing an API documentation project
- Mixing automatically generated content with hand crafted content
- Editing and reviewing content
- Maintaining the documentation and version control
- Integrating it with your existing documentation workflow
- Building a documentation team
No programming experience is required.
If you want to become a Junior, Certified Member or Certified Fellow of the technical communicators’ national professional body - the Institute of Scientific and Technical Communicators (ISTC) - Cherryleaf’s training courses can help. Junior Members, Members and Fellows are certified by the ISTC through a vetting process, with Members and Fellows entitled to use the initials MISTC or FISTC after their names. All ISTC members have a responsibility to maintain their professional competence through Continuing Professional Development (CPD) , and Cherryleaf’s courses can help demonstrate you are extending and updating your skills.
How to Enrol
This course is part of WriteLessons, from Cherryleaf
WriteLessons, from Cherryleaf, provides you with access to a range of courses in technical communication. You have access to all of the courses contained within WriteLessons, which you can take at your own pace.
Cherryleaf is a technical writing services company formed in 2002 by people with a passion for technical communication and learning development.
Cherryleaf is recognised as a leader within the technical communication profession. Our staff have written articles for the Society for Technical Communication's (STC) Intercom magazine, the Institute of Scientific and Technical Communicator's Communicator journal and tekom's TCWorld magazine. They've also written books on technical communication. We've presented webinars for Adobe, Madcap Software or the STC, and we've spoken at various conferences around the world.
Today, organisations throughout Europe use Cherryleaf’s services so they can provide clear information that enables users and staff to complete tasks productively.