Creating content for user onboarding
Everything you need to know about onboarding customers onto your product
Onboarding new users is something that many organisations need to do, but very few have had any formal training in how to do it. Sometimes, the result is that the information can be unclear and not fit its purpose. Creating them can also take a lot of time, especially if they need to be changed frequently.
Cherryleaf’s elearning course on content for customer onboarding gives you the foundations for onboarding new users in an effective way.
The course includes onboarding exercises on a sample application for you to complete and review.
What will I learn?
- The different ways to guide users – and when to use them
- How to set your goals for onboarding
- Understanding and mapping the user journey
- How to prioritise the key onboarding actions
- How to write clearly, even if writing doesn’t come naturally
- Confidence in the work you produce
About the course
The course comprises 15 modules in total, which you can complete at your own pace.
The course modules are delivered via the Web in small, manageable modules. With the exercises, each delegate will need to allocate around seven hours to complete the course.
- What is onboarding?
- The different types of onboarding
- Why onboard?
- Why not onboard?
- About the project and exercises
- What is your goal?
- Who is your target audience?
- Information design and learning theory
- Designing for the key actions
- Onboarding paths
- Customer journey mapping
- Types of guidance
- Writing the content
- Software tools for creating and delivering the content
- Testing and measuring it works
- Maintenance and governance
- Action plan for your first 90 days
Cherryleaf is a technical writing services company formed in 2002 by people with a passion for technical communication and learning development.
Cherryleaf is recognised as a leader within the technical communication profession. Our staff have written articles for the Society for Technical Communication's (STC) Intercom magazine, the Institute of Scientific and Technical Communicator's Communicator journal and tekom's TCWorld magazine. They've also written books on technical communication. We've presented webinars for Adobe, Madcap Software or the STC, and we've spoken at various conferences around the world.
Today, organisations throughout Europe use Cherryleaf’s services so they can provide clear information that enables users and staff to complete tasks productively.
StartProject for the exercises
PreviewWhat is onboarding? (3:13)
StartWhy onboard? (12:03)
StartWhy not onboard? (5:06)
StartWhat is your goal? (20:08)
StartWho is your audience? (7:11)
StartInformation Design and learning theories (15:52)
StartJourney mapping (21:46)
StartTypes of guidance (45:01)
StartOnboarding outside the product (13:45)
StartWriting the content (11:24)