Intermediate/Advanced Technical Communication Course
A collection of technical communication training coursesEnrol in Course
This popular collection of courses has been designed to develop your technical writing skills and keep you on top of the latest techniques in technical communication.
From the outside, you might think that technical writing changes little over time. If you’re involved in technical communication, you’ll know that’s far from the case. You’re expected to adapt to new technologies, working practices, work more efficiently, and be able to manage ever more complicated projects.
It can be scary and exciting:
- Exciting because there are opportunities to lead and use your skills elsewhere in the organisation.
- Scary because you might get passed by if you don’t have the right skills or the confidence to show others you can do this type of work.
This course helps you build on your core technical writing skills.
Training at a price everyone can afford
Classroom training can be expensive, especially when you take a range of classes. Here, you get access to a collection of online courses in technical communication, under a low cost, month-by-month plan.
You’re not tied in – you can cancel when you want.
Who is this course for?
Recommended by the ASTC
This course is recommended by The Australian Society for Technical Communication and The Technical Communicators Association of New Zealand to their members. It’s a great way to maintain the Continuing Professional Development (CPD) required by technical communication societies.
If you want to become a Junior, Certified Member or Certified Fellow of the technical communicators’ national professional body - the Institute of Scientific and Technical Communicators (ISTC) - Cherryleaf’s training courses can help. Junior Members, Members and Fellows are certified by the ISTC through a vetting process, with Members and Fellows entitled to use the initials MISTC or FISTC after their names.
All ISTC members have a responsibility to maintain their professional competence through Continuing Professional Development (CPD), and Cherryleaf’s courses can help demonstrate you are extending and updating your skills.
What's in the course
See "Class Curriculum" (towards the bottom of the page) for information on all the modules and topics covered in each course.
Each course is self-contained, so you can to choose to take just a single course, if you wish.
The individual courses (apart from the Markdown course) are the equivalent of a one or a two day classroom course.
Certificates of completion (if you need them to meet Continuing Professional Development requirements) are available on request.
For API documentation and developer portal projects
- Creating API documentation and developer portals (in development)
For larger or more complex documentation projects
- DITA fundamentals
- Managing Software Documentation Projects
- Revising and Editing Content
- Structured Writing Fundamentals
For Software as a Service writing projects
- Technical Copywriting
- UI/UX Writing
Writing more efficiently
- Review of technical writing fundamentals
- Single sourcing and content reuse
Creating screenshots and images
- Creating screenshots and images for user guides
- Trends in Technical Communication
- The course modules are delivered over the Web in small, manageable video presentations. You can pause the videos at any time and return to the course at times that suit you.
- You can download the course handouts.
- You have the option of taking the course on an iPhone or iPad, using the MyTeachable app in the Apple App Store.
- You can preview some of the course modules.
- You will have access to the entire package (all courses and modules) from the moment you subscribe. It’s similar to the way Netflix works.
- You can pay by credit/debit cards or PayPal.
- You’re not tied in – you can cancel when you want.
- The courses are hosted and sold by via the Teachable platform. From a VAT perspective, they are the “Merchant of Record”, and receipts contain their VAT number.
Need to train your whole team?
If you have five or more people who you would like to take the course, we can offer a group booking option. Delegates get access for 12 months. Contact us for details.
What to do when you want to stop
If you are only interested in one or just a few courses, that's fine.
You can stop when you want, and the subscription will finish at the end of that month.
You will be able to cancel any future payments if you submit your request using the “Cancel your subscription” link in your accounts page before your next scheduled payment date.
Cherryleaf is a technical writing services company formed in 2002 by people with a passion for technical communication and learning development.
Cherryleaf is recognised as a leader within the technical communication profession. Our staff have written articles for the Society for Technical Communication's (STC) Intercom magazine, the Institute of Scientific and Technical Communicator's Communicator journal and tekom's TCWorld magazine. They've also written books on technical communication. We've presented webinars for Adobe, Madcap Software or the STC, and we've spoken at various conferences around the world.
Today, organisations throughout Europe use Cherryleaf’s services so they can provide clear information that enables users and staff to complete tasks productively.
StartRead Me First
StartWhy Single Source? (14:52)
StartWhen Single Sourcing Might be a Bad Idea (2:41)
StartGeneral Approach (8:57)
StartWriting for Reuse (14:23)
StartStructured Writing (3:18)