From the outside, you might think that technical writing changes little over time. If you're involved in technical communication, you'll know that's far from the case. For example, you might be faced with having to adapt to changes in the way development teams work. Today, there are new ways and technologies for assisting users when need help. When it comes to APIs, they require a different type of documentation.
What's more, you're expected to work more efficiently, and be able to manage ever more complicated projects.
It can be scary and exciting. Exciting because there are opportunities to lead and use your skills elsewhere in the organisation. Scary because you might get passed by if you don't have the right skills, or the confidence to show others you can do this type of work.
Cherryleaf's intermediate/advanced technical communication skills course is a great way for you to keep on top of the latest and advanced techniques in technical communication. Let us help you become a better technical communicator.
Intermediate and advanced training at a price everyone can afford
You get access to a collection of online courses and modules in technical communication, under a low cost, month-by-month plan. You have access to all of the courses from the moment you sign up. You can cancel when you want.
What's in the course
- Review of technical writing fundamentals
- DITA fundamentals
- Documenting REST APIs
- Managing Software Documentation Projects
- Revising and Editing Content
- Single sourcing and content reuse
- Structured Writing Fundamentals
- Trends in Technical Communication
- UI/UX Writing
- Technical Copywriting
See "Class Curriculum" below for information on the modules and topics covered in each course.
These modules let you explore a subject at your own pace. In addition to video modules, there are practical exercises for you to complete.
It's a great way to maintain the Continuing Professional Development (CPD) required by technical communication societies.
Your questions answered
- The course modules are delivered over the Web in small, manageable video presentations. You can pause the videos at any time and return to the course at times that suit you.
- You can download the course handouts.
- You have the option of taking the course on an iPhone or iPad, using the MyTeachable app in the Apple App Store.
- The courses are not available separately, outside of the Advanced course bundle.
- The courses are separate, self-contained courses.
- You will have access to the entire package (all courses and modules) from the moment you subscribe. It’s similar to the way Netflix works.
- If you are only interested in one or just a few courses, you can just take those. Just remember to unenrol/cancel your subscription when you’ve completed the courses you want to take.
- You can cancel your subscription when you want. Again, it’s similar to the way Netflix works.
- The courses are is hosted and sold by via the Teachable platform. From a VAT perspective, they are the “Merchant of Record”, and receipts contain their VAT number.
- You can preview some of the course modules (see the Course Curriculum below).
- Certificates (if you need them to meet Continuing Professional Development requirements) are available on request.
This course is recommended by The Australian Society for Technical Communication and The Technical Communicators Association of New Zealand to their members.
If you want to become a Junior, Certified Member or Certified Fellow of the technical communicators’ national professional body - the Institute of Scientific and Technical Communicators (ISTC) - Cherryleaf’s training courses can help. Junior Members, Members and Fellows are certified by the ISTC through a vetting process, with Members and Fellows entitled to use the initials MISTC or FISTC after their names.
All ISTC members have a responsibility to maintain their professional competence through Continuing Professional Development (CPD), and Cherryleaf’s courses can help demonstrate you are extending and updating your skills.
What to do when you want to stop
You can stop when you want, and the subscription will finish at the end of that month. You will be able to cancel any future payments if you submit your request using the “Cancel your subscription” link in your accounts page prior to your next scheduled payment date.
Cherryleaf is a technical writing services company formed in 2002 by people with a passion for technical communication and learning development.
Cherryleaf is recognised as a leader within the technical communication profession. Our staff have written articles for the Society for Technical Communication's (STC) Intercom magazine, the Institute of Scientific and Technical Communicator's Communicator journal and tekom's TCWorld magazine. They've also written books on technical communication. We've presented webinars for Adobe, Madcap Software or the STC, and we've spoken at various conferences around the world.
Today, organisations throughout Europe use Cherryleaf’s services so they can provide clear information that enables users and staff to complete tasks productively.
StartRead Me First
StartWhy Single Source? (11:28)
StartWhen Single Sourcing Might be a Bad Idea (1:48)
StartGeneral Approach (7:04)
StartWriting for Reuse (15:44)
StartStructured Writing (1:53)